Monday, June 07, 2010

see {you} later

We had a goodbye party for a family from church last night, which was probably more of a "See You Later".  Their girls require a gluten-free diet, so that was a new challenge for me.  It was also a good excuse to get some practice with my new sheet cake pan, and I think it turned out pretty well!

I bought a few gluten-free mixes and made a marbled cake.  The mixes required butter, apple sauce, and water, so they stayed really moist, which was awesome since that's typically a challenge with gluten-free cakes.  I was NOT a fan of the gluten-free frosting (from a mix as well, it's the white frosting on the cake... it was too runny and I had to add a lot of extra powdered sugar), so after about an hour of frustration (mad props to the hubsters for being nice to me during my mini meltdown), I caved and made my traditional icing, which I thought was probably still okay.  The good news is that it passed the test!  So while I WILL be using the gluten-free starter mix for special dietary needs in the future, I'm relieved that I can stick with my tried and true Wilton butter cream to decorate.  :)

As an aside, I really enjoyed watching people celebrate a family that had given their lives away to their church family, friends, and community over the years.  I want to live that way.  We've been so blessed to meet some beautiful people during our time here that have added to our understanding of what it means to live with purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment