Monday, March 15, 2010

coming up {daisies}...

... or not.  Until yesterday, I had a favorite flower.  The gerber daisy.  It found its way into most of the flower arrangements from B, into my bridesmaid bouquets, and into our wedding boutennieres... I love that it's such a happy, colorful, care-free flower.  So naturally, when I saw lots of whimsical pictures of daisy cakes in our class book, that made me quite excited.

But the favorite flower status is on hold after class tonight.  We made apple blossoms, violets, violet leaves, daffodils and roses.  No problem.  Delightful in fact.  But the fun stopped with the daisies.  They seem so cute and innocently beautiful.  It looked so simple!

...but my daisies are oddly chubby, a bit misshapen and most closely resemble the bouquet of flowers my then-fiance dropped off while I was sleeping before he left for the summer with a wonderful note and an apology that "I believe these are the ugliest flowers I've ever seen.  That's what happens when you go to the grocery store for flowers in the middle of the night".  And while that bouquet and apology made me smile, these do not:

So I'm on daisy duty.  In our March "off week" I'm setting aside my Wednesday evening to practice daisies while the hubby studies.  Stay tuned.

Below are the flowers that I actually liked from class.  They're drying and contemplating their future on my sister-in-law's birthday cake.  The clovers are for a cake I'm making for our bake sale at work next week.  I'm hoping to have the words "I'm looking over a four leaf clover that I overlooked before" on the cake.  Notice there's only one four-leaf clover.  :)  Yes, that makes me smile.  I'm that much of a dork.

No comments:

Post a Comment