Thursday, April 15, 2010

HE is risen {indeed}

These are long overdue, but here a few photos of cakes that graced our family's tables as we celebrated this Easter season.

The first is a from scratch strawberry cake with fresh strawberry filling and whipped buttercream icing.  I am only beginning to experiment with from scratch cake recipes.  I learned on this one that I should have let it bake 5 minutes longer BEFORE opening the oven, as my gorgeous puffy cake sunk in just moments when I opened the oven to check it and take it out.  Sad.  It did prove, however, the cake decorator's mantra: "Frosting can fix anything".  In this case, a LOT of frosting in the middle of your sunken cake will smooth over your experimental baking woes!

But, I am told the strawberry cake was yummy and I was loving it with strawberry ice cream!  I also misquoted the hymn... "Sing ye heavens and earth reply... Alleluia!" were the intended lyrics.  But I suspect heavens and earth were both rejoicing on Easter morning, so I think we're good.  Here it is:


The second is a quick Easter egg-shaped cake that Meg and I made for our Palm Sunday Easter celebration with the hubby's extended family.  Cute, quick (ignore the pulled crumbs... whoops!) and fun!  These pans will also make great footballs next fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment